Sunday, January 16, 2011

Arthritis Woes & Retrieverbabies



Today feels like a blog day. More like an emotional vomit day, but whatever.

It's no secret I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and that I've had a hard battle with it. Why it's been so resistant to treatment and aggressive with me, I don't know. And as I will likely be resorting to chemo (IV) this year, (which is a step up from what I've already been doing) I have become more discouraged and frightened about my future than ever. At times, when I am at the mercy of pain with no end in sight, I feel like a torture victim who may never fully recover emotionally and mentally from their experience.

And for those of you who have asked, painkillers don't cut the pain. Unless I want to be totally doped up, unable to do anything, I have to live with pain. I used to wonder why people resort to heroin for pain relief. Now I know: I'm losing hope in the advances of modern day medicine, and with each day of nothing to look to, I feel I'm losing my mental and emotional integrity.

Eventually I will find a way to cope with this disease regardless of what physical improvements I make. Plus, already being well aware of the hell brought on by a life of drugs, I can pretty much gurantee my hope and cope won't be heroin. (Makin momma proud.)

I know things will get better. In fact, if I really think about it, I can elaborate on how they are getting better. the fact that people have stepped up to the plate in my life to show me they care has been awesome. I never thought the support I've received from various friends and family existed. I guess now would be the time to start mentioning names but if you listened to me cry, or held me through the pain this year--you know who you are! Thank you.

The lemons of my RA have been a bitter bunch to make lemonade out of, but with the help of others I'm trying--and I'm trying hard--to stay positive. I am looking to make 'lemonade' through Assistance Dogs Of The West; finding the right puppy and training my own service dog. This will serve twofold. Not only will I have the new outlet in life of training my own dog and having its help, (My old outlet being running like crazy, which I can no longer do) I will also hopefully be able to train dogs for other disabled people.

This endeavor has not been without it's own setbacks. Today, I am slightly miffed that the litter I've been waiting a year for, has gone totally to politics of the dog show world. However, the more I get my hands dirty in the big bad world of purebred retrievers, the more I am determined to get the best stinkin dog out there. AND it's all the more appreciative and proud I am of the beautiful, healthy retriever I already have. Don't you worry, the right puppy will come in time! And you can bet that milkshake will bring all the boys to the yard.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear "your" puppy was "too good" to be a service dog. that totally sounds like an oxymoron to me.

    i know things will get better. there will be something that the medical professionals will be able to do to help you.

    and i'm praying for you my friend.

    much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in touch with Donna and others. I know she has been through hell with this disease. Her pain seems in a manageable place which I pray gives you some hope. I love you and pray for you my brave and compassionate friend.

    ReplyDelete